Saturday, 29 May 2010

More Disturbing News

Surveillance cameras are on the way that will pick out potential terrorists by analysing their behaviour for suspicious patterns. In the short run, God willing, this will save lives. In the long run, can you imagine when totalitarian dictators start using pattern-recognition software to pick out disruptive elements in their society?

Also, scientists have gotten clues on how drug addiction works by committing snail abuse. Poor snails. Per the article:

The researchers say that this work lays the foundations for ultimately targeting memory in the treatment of drug addiction and other disorders, such as post traumantic stress disorder.

The ultimate idea would be to target specific memories - these pathological memories - to be forgotten or diminished.


That would be pretty awesome, in terms of being able to combat addiction and PTSD. But also: what totalitarian states would do with such technology doesn't bear thinking about. Even what modern moralistic nanny states would do with this might get disturbing, once the idea's been around for long enough.

I'm getting paranoid in my old age, I think. Every time I read about some notable scientific advance I start thinking about how it could be used to crush the human spirit.

No comments: