Saturday, 26 March 2011

Musical doings

I had a very theologically-charged guitar lesson yesterday, with a visiting guitarist who was giving a concert in the evening. After taking my technique to pieces and explaining all the criteria for rebuilding it, he commented that every time I pick up the guitar, I must take care what I do; because every time I play, I'm either building good technique or reinforcing bad habits. After a moment's pondering, he stated that actually, everything you do is like that, and changes where you're going.

Later I saw the show and, watching a beautiful tall dancer do her stuff, had a most curious feeling - as if in watching her I were a little shorter and stumpier, and my head were lower, and my shoulders higher; not that there was any shame in this, although maybe an implied sense of difference between myself and the more graceful and elegant dancer. It took me a while to fit the sensation to anything cached in memory - Gimli seeing Galadriel didn't quite fit, but then I remembered a Disney movie about a hunchback, based on a novel I've never read.

1 comment:

Deirdre said...

And yet, the majority of our actions are not deliberate but from convention or rote habit instead of an acquired habit chosen for its goodness and in relation to beatitude. We're so complacent as we drift along.